LibreBoot: An openSource Firmware

LibreBoot!

As an open source enthusiast, I find new open-source softwares almost every week.  This week I get to know about a great one, which I never thought of.  A Open-Source BIOS firmware alternative, LibreBoot.  The thought never struck me that there might also be Open source BIOS firmware out there

How I found it?

For some weeks, I was looking for some opensource projects which I can contribute to but I was too confused about which one to pick.  The main reason being, every new thing fascinates me and thus I got distracted too easily.  Discussing these issues with my dgplug mentor Shakti kannan aka mbuf, I found my core competence (low level computer stuff, 0s and 1s) and most of all, I learnt to say No! to other fascinating stuff which distracted me a lot.

mbuf advised me to check on LibreBoot and see if it helps.  When I first encounter libreboot documentation, i couldn't understand much, but searching a little about it, I started to liked it.

What is it?

Libreboot (formerly known as GNU Libreboot) is a free software project aimed at replacing the proprietary BIOS firmware found in most computers with a libre, lightweight system designed to perform only the minimum number of tasks necessary to load and run a modern 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.


How can you get started?


I wont go into much detail, but there is one advice i would like to give: Hold on, take your time, it might not get to you at first.

  • Read about it and its history here.
  • Download the source code for libre boot from its git repository hosted here by:          git clone https://notabug.org/libreboot/libreboot.git

  • Try and install it on your system (Recommended on Test System).
  • See if you like it.
  • Have fun with its code.

As you can see in its documentation, its tested for limited devices/hardwares and here's your chance, go try and  test it on your on.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving!

It's been a long time, since I published anything here, but that doesn't mean I stop writing, I kept writing everyday, just didn...