Boot Loader vs BIOS!

If you guys have read my previous blog on LibreBoot, you guys might know that I have started to work on LibreBoot and here is something I like to share what I learn along the way on BIOS and boot-loader.

BIOS

BIOS is short for Basic Input Output System and is a very critical part of any computer system and it is very first part which powers up your system.

 When the system is powered on, a firmware loaded in a ROM(Read Only Memory) chip is executed and is known as BIOS.  This firmware takes care of your initials drivers required by your system for the keyboards and mouse to interact. Once the BIOS firmware is loaded, the process of booting goes to boot-loader.

Boot Loader

Booting takes place in two steps.  BIOS checks all the storage devices connected to the system and if the boot loader is present or not.

Boot Loader then in first step, checks for the master boot partition, aka MBR and verifies whether it is working or not i.e. not corrupted.

Then, in second step, boot loader points to the storage partition which stores the operating system for our system and is referenced by the MBR, whether it be windows or any linux based distribution.

In multiboot systems, MBR has the entry for all the storage partitions for all the operating system, and thus boot loader provides user the option to choose the operating system, s/he wants to use.


Note: Since I am learning these concepts on bootloader, bios and kernel.  So use this material on your risk.  I wont be responsible if your system crashes. :p








No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving!

It's been a long time, since I published anything here, but that doesn't mean I stop writing, I kept writing everyday, just didn...